I’ve come across a few different posts and videos over the years about advice to the younger self and I’ve always thought this was a cool concept! If only we could go back in time, shake ourselves and stop those stupid things from happening. But I guess those stupid things have shaped who we are, right? Anyhoo, since I love the concept so much I have decided to do my spin on it!
Here is my advice to you all out there who want to listen, shaped by experiences throughout my 23 years of life.
In no particular order… My advice to you is this…
- You don’t have to be what people want you to be: In my experience, the older you get, the less people’s opinions matter. Do what makes you happy and follow YOUR dreams.
- You don’t need to study to be successful: I thought that if I didn’t go to University then I was going to be working at a petrol station for the rest of my life. Little did I know there are copious amounts of opportunities in this world and study isn’t the only option. If you want something enough YOU WILL get there.
- Don’t care about what others think so much: As I’ve gotten older I’ve realised this is key. People are too busy worrying about themselves most of the time. If someone is negative towards you, can you only imagine how negative they must be towards themselves? It’s not you they dislike, it’s themselves.
- Good friends are better than multiple friends: Social media doesn’t really make this feel like a thing. The more friends you have the more likes you get. Well, how many of those followers will really be there for you when things get tough? I’ve got a handful of best friends who I am so grateful for and I know are always going to be there for me!
- You are allowed to quit a job you hate: Ah yes! If you hate your job so much, YOU DON’T HAVE TO KEEP IT! The amount of suffering you go through when you’re in a job you can’t stand is not worth it. Use your time to make yourself happy.
- Don’t drink coffee if you have anxiety: Haha, so this is really important! If you suffer from anxiety coffee makes it worse!! (In my opinion). Drink tea, hot chocolates or chai lattes until you have your anxiety under control.
- It’s okay to get counselling, be on medication or take time for yourself: If the world is getting to be too much please take time for yourself and turn to someone who can help you. Counselling is more accessible these days and to be honest it has saved me in many occasions. Don’t be ashamed, more people are getting counselling or taking medication than you think!!
- Leaving home doesn’t mean you can’t go back: You may have flown the coop but this doesn’t mean you can’t go back and live there for a while. Your parents will like it more than you think. It’s a great way to save money and gather yourself.
- Hangovers get worse: Aha. If I have a big night on a Saturday I’m usually still rough on the Monday… Bring back my 18-year-old resilience!!
- You can’t eat the same as you used to: Literally it goes straight to the hips!! You have to be wiser with your eating choices. I know this is only going to get worse as I get older. But I’ve come to realise if you look after yourself while you’re young your body will thank you!
- You don’t need a lot of savings to be happy: Money is an energy. It comes and goes. I listened to a podcast once and a rich man said the only good thing about being rich is you don’t have to worry about money. That’s all?! I guess not having to worry about money would save us from so much heartache… but if we stop thinking about how great it would be to have a lot of money maybe it will eliminate some of the stress we carry?
- Create your own freedom: You are what you want to be. Don’t let anyone get in your way. (An awesome motivator for this is the book by Paulo Coelho called the Alchemist, learn about it here– I promise it will motivate you to create your own freedom and follow your own dreams!).
- You are allowed to change: You have no obligation to be the same person you were last week, last year or yesterday. We are all constantly changing and growing.
- Strive for happiness: If you are happy everything isn’t so hard. Make other people happy and you will be happy.
- Be confident: When you are confident you can do anything. There is nothing in your way. Your opinion is all that matters. Learn how to grow your confidence step by step.
- Live in the moment: I think we have all heard of YOLO before. (Who knows, we might live again?) Anyway, I like the concept. Living in the moment helps you to make the most of your everyday. (If you want to learn how to be mindful definitely listen to Rachael Kable’s podcast, to go to her website click here).
- What’s right for you is probably not right for the next person: Be open and accepting of others and of yourself. We are all so different and unique.
- Don’t over think things: There is seriously no point in this. (It’s hard to do I know!) But at the end of the day you are only having a thought, don’t pay so much attention to it!
- Set goals: This will help you to get through life. Having an aim for the future will ensure you are more productive in the present moment.
- You are as young as you feel: Age is just a number. Yeah, you might look different but how do you feel?
- Smile: Give out smiles they will make yourself and others feel good!
- Appreciate people who are dissimilar to you: You can learn something from them!! Also, it helps you build your interpersonal savvy which can help you in numerous situations.
- Don’t apologise for doing your best: Your best changes from time to time (The Four Agreements book outlines this really well. You can read about this on my post here). Honestly, you can only ever do your best and don’t try to do anything more! Please! You will burn out and be no use to anyone, let alone yourself!
I hope this advice resonates with some of you. Be yourself, you are all beautiful, amazing, incredible people and I hope you all realise this! 🙂
P.s if you like to pin things definitely check out my Pinterest! Link is in my side bar 🙂